The history of Torrevento
The history of the Torrevento Estate begins in the heart of the Alta Murgia National Park, the first countryside park in Italy, a land where the inseparable relationship between man and nature dominates, where human activities and environment blend in perfect fusion with tradition.
Here, in 1400, in the “Torre del Vento” (Tower of the Wind) district, a Benedictine monastery was constructed entirely of stone. Torre del Vento is a name that will mark our history, a history that starts in 1913, when Francesco Liantonio (grandfather of the namesake Francesco, current President of the firm Torrenvento Ltd.) just barely 16 years of age, decided to board the ship “Hamburg”, bound for New York, in search of fortune.
In 1923, ten years after his arrival in America, Francesco Liantonio makes his fortune, thanks to an ice factory and, with the proceeds of that hard work, returns to his beloved Apulia, where, in the town of Palo del Colle (Pole on the Hill), he realizes his dream: the production and trade of extra virgin olive oil and winemaking.
In 1948, the Liantonio family acquires, in the "Torrevento" district, right at the foot of the famous Castel del Monte, the old Benedictine monastery with the surrounding 57 hectares of vineyard. Two years later, Gaetano Liantonio inherits the estate, renovates it and continues the production activity by creating a rustic wine cellar called Vinicola Torrevento (Torrevento Winery), which in 1989, together with Francesco Liantonio (current President and CEO) grows into a business enterprise - Torrevento srl (Torrevento Ltd.).
Today, the bucolic character of the wine production is still the strength of our company. In a rugged and stony territory, we take advantage of the indigenous grape varieties best suited for expressing the winemaking vocation of the whole Apulian region.
Our wine, aged, in precious oak barrels and small oak casks, according to the ancient local winemaking traditions alongside the most modern vinification techniques, are preserved in large cellars dug into the rock of the Benedictine monastery.
Other important dates:
1922. The first line of Castel del Monte DOC Torrevento wines are created: Bianco (white), Rosato (rosé) and Rosso (red)
1995-2005. Expansion of the vineyard, technological innovation, amplification of the range of wines, the first certification (ISO 9001: 2000)
2005-2012. Corporate expansion, restructuring of the historic area aimed for large casks and barriques, further increase of the range of wines, new Quality Certification.